See something that looks familiar here? Perhaps you saw it first over at Family Home and Life, my other blog.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Applique Quilt

Gosh I have so many things to get caught up on and so many things I could blog about that I hardly know where to begin. I will start with this child size quilt, 4 1/2 feet by 3 1/2 feet to be exact, then give you a few teasers for up coming post. I started it so long ago that I can't even remember where I got my inspiration from! But the flower design caught my eye and I re interpreted it on this quilt. I originally began it for my second oldest grand daughter thinking I would make one for each grand child eventually. Ha! that idea is out the window! Too many grand kids so close together and not enough time to quilt.




(I wish I had better pics! I feel like I need to turn a light on so you can see it better)

So I would work on this little quilt here and there and my oldest grand daughter saw it one day and asked wheat it was and who it was for. I answered her and wise little one that she is she said..."grandma that doesn't look like a quilt she would like! That one should be for her sister!" and you know she was right. The colors and theme would be perfect for her sister!

Well, there I sat looking at the quilt and knowing I could never give it to the intended child now. So I put it away thinking I would start again making another quilt, and come back to this one for little sister someday. Yes well...... I didn't ever start another quilt, and a few years have gone by with me occasionally working on it when I had nothing else to do. I decided to finish it up and give it to it's new owner for this years birthday which was yesterday. 



The background strips are machine stitched together but everything else is completely by hand. It took HOURS to make! But I love to hand sew and didn't really mind that. I appliqued the flowers and the bird using needle turn technique. 



The butterfly's were designs cut out of fabric and ironed on with fusible webbing before they were stitched around. Once it all was attached to the background, I then went back and used a blanket stitch with embroidery floss around each item. I quilted it by hand too outlining the flowers, bird and butterflys, then quilted lines in curves to emulate the flight patterns of the butterflys. 



And because this grand child loves green lizards, I decided to hide a little surprise for her on a flower stem......she loved that! There you have it, my finally finished applique quilt. 

Coming up, I will share with you my favorite bread recipe, my first batch of home made soap recipe, a favorite gift I make for girls when they turn 3 or 4, and why there is a head high pile of dirt on my back patio and more! Oh, and my broken toe from 4 months ago? Well it's still broke. I'm waiting to hear from the doctor to find out what will happen with that.

Thanks for stopping by!

I link at these parties. 


Copyright © 2013 by Hill House Homestead ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

22 comments:

  1. Your quilt is wonderful! She must have been so pleased and it will always mean so much because it came from you! Good Job Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your applique work is beautiful! It is so hard to get those shapes so smooth and perfect, but you have it mastered! The colors and fabrics and design are lovely. Very feminine!
    I love your little granddaughter story! Ha! And that little lizard is just delightful!
    I started a quilt about 5 years ago with pink roses on it. I planned it for my oldest granddaughter. Now my goal is to have it for her as a wedding gift - she's three years old now - even that might be stretching it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How absolutely beautiful! Love the flowers! Beautifully made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is beautiful. I love the lizard! I'm sure she will treasure it forever. ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bird applique and the lizard! Wonderful work!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is darling! And the little lizard...love him!!! :) I know how long this stuff takes..it takes forever, doesn't it!! :) But in the end you have a treasure ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh m! I can't believe you stitched all that by hand!! I am in awe! What a wonderful heirloom you've made....
    :)
    xx Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a beautiful quilt! I think north american quilted blankets are fascinating. And I love the details you have put there, especially that little lizard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is BEAUTIFUL! I just love it! The color palate is just perfection.

    - Tasha @ Designer Trapped in a Lawyer's Body {www.designertrapped.com}

    ReplyDelete
  10. great job, thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a special quilt. I love the applique flowers on the pieced background. You did a beautiful job...and the lizard is a neat touch. Well done...Visiting from Have a Daily Cup Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your quilt! I like to quilt too, but I haven't tried an applique one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so sweet. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful! Love the special hidden surprise stitched in the stem.... such a great idea!
    Thanks for linking up to SLow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome quilt!! All that hand stitching is amazing and I just love the little lizard!!! Came over from 'Craft School Sunday'

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful quilt -- miss grandchild will surely love and treasure it. Love the little lizard! It's nice to know that quilts can age gracefully and still get finished! I have a quilt that I started for my oldest son that is still in the piece stage - he's older now than I was when I started it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty! I love the little green lizard. Thank you for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a pretty quilt! This is something I wished that I could do. Maybe someday I'll learn how to make my own quilts.
    Thanks SO much for linking up to Hit Me With Your Best Shot! Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet quilt! I love the fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is beautiful! I'm just learning how to quilt. Thank you for sharing this with us at the HomeAcre Hop! Hop is live this morning and we'd love to have you come back and share.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Connie, I am like Black Fox Homestead, above- I'm a new quilter. Something like this is so inspiring to shoot for! That lizard- well, it's just as cute as it can be. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on about quilting...I've made quilt blocks, but I've never attached a face to a back. I've seen people use bias binding around the edges, but I've also seen quilt backs cut larger than the face, and then brought forward on top of the face and stitched down as edges. It looks like you use bias binding? Such pretty colors for a little girl. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Gosh I love to read your comments! Thanks for leaving one :)