See something that looks familiar here? Perhaps you saw it first over at Family Home and Life, my other blog.

Monday, August 21, 2017

Dino Quilt


I planned to make a quilt for one of my grand babies and the request was for a Dinosaur theme. Together, said grand baby and I looked through many Dino quilts online. None of them seemed just right. There was one though that was close to what my little imagined. So I used it as a jumping off place for this quilt. 
The inspiration quilt was pretty close in design to what I came up with; larger panels with appliqued Dino's framed by pieced small blocks. 



Sorry for the sloppy drawing, I was in a hurry as usual. If I had know I would be blogging this I would have been more careful. I have added some lines and measurements with Picmonkey to make it more readable.

I started with graph paper, and marked my planned size by penciling in the outline. Then I drew the large panels and filled in spaces with 3 inch square blocks .....I made a big mistake though......I didn't remember to added seam allowance when I cut out the small blocks. Oops! I didn't realize my mistake until I was sewing together all the parts. But I did what I always do and made it work anyway even though the seams don't line up in several places. My fabric came from Jo-Ann's Tutti Frutti collection, pieces that I have purchased over several years.


I cut my large panels of fabric out first - all four are 12 inches by 18 inches. Then online, I found free coloring sheets with Dino's I wanted on the quilt. With the paper Dino's cut out, I pinned them to the right side of my fabric and traced around the shape with a chalk pencil. Then I cut it out, leaving 1/4" seam allowance from the chalk line. I sewed the Dino's on the panels by hand using needle turn applique then went back around them with an embroidery floss blanket stitch.




The two smaller panels are 6 inches by 15 inches.


  
I cut the backing larger and folded it over the layers to make the finished edge but I can't remember what that technique is called! 




The quilt measures a little more than 40 by 50 inches. I need to make one more for a spring birthday so I guess I need to get started!

I link at these parties.


Hill House Homestead is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Copyright © 2017 by Hill House Homestead ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

5 comments:

  1. The dino quilt looks great! I love the "tutti frutti" colors. I am collecting them for a quilt I plan to make for a granddaughter. However, mine won't be as original as yours! I have a simple triangle pattern in mind for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a bright and happy quilt. It is sure to be a well loved and used quilt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how adorable with all the great colors and fun dinosoars so very cool
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable, the dinosaurs are great. I wish I had your skills. Thanks for sharing on Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete

Gosh I love to read your comments! Thanks for leaving one :)